Baggage

So, my first post was about a journey of sorts. And taking the first steps to begin. Let’s back up a bit and talk about the preparation for our journeys — physical trips from point A to point B and metaphysical ones through the landscape of our thoughts and emotions on our multiple trips around the sun we call life.

I’ve been taking many physical trips this year - mostly for work. Trips can be expansive and connecting. But they can also be disruptive, especially when they come in quick succession as they are this year. And the prep work for the trip — aka, planning and packing, and all the decision making that goes into this process — can be daunting.


I have a history of being a chronic overpacker, wanting to cover every eventuality with my wardrobe, and be comfortable at the same time. Back in the day before airlines charged for checked bags, I once checked a 70 lb. bag. I can’t even imagine what I possibly packed for the bag to weigh that much! Over time - and lost and delayed bags, plus the experience of walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostella with only a backpack - I morphed into a carryon-only traveler. Sometimes it was a challenge to hoist the bag into the overhead bin (fellow passengers were very eager to help to prevent my bag from falling on their heads), but I’ve pared my belongings down so deftly swinging the bag into the overhead now happens with ease.


But THIS 10 day trip is taking place only 2 weeks after returning from my last excursion and involves casual visiting of family and friends, corporate visits, and an outdoor festival, temperatures that are forecast to range from 48-80 degrees and three separate locations. Try as I might there was NO WAY to pack all I needed and wanted into a single carryon. And because I didn’t have a lot of time to plan, I was pressed for time. Like the writer who doesn’t have the time to write a short concise story and writes a long one instead (been there, done that),  I didn’t have the time to pack a small compact bag. 


 I suffered great anguish over this, feeling like a failure at my own carryon game when I realized I needed a second, checked bag. I thought of one friend who packs all her stuff for a multi-week trip from France to the US in a single carryon (without even a backpack personal item!) and another who used to attend business events with her amazing wardrobe somehow crammed into a teeny tiny little tote. I considered starting therapy to focus solely on my  baggage issues when I travel (But really, doesn’t ALL therapy focus on baggage in one sense or the other?). 


Taking a break from the task at hand, I noticed a Facebook post from an inspiring industry friend that included a photo of her two sizable suitcases that she had not yet unpacked from the trade show we had just come back from. She, too, had another trip to prepare for. Now I respect this woman and she looked stunnning at our trade show — so when I saw that SHE traveled with two bags, I felt immediate relief from the self-deprecating reverie I had been tormenting myself with. I stopped berating myself for not meeting my own criteria of jamming all my things for a 10 day trip into a 21 inch carryon and backpack. Her post gave me PERMISSION to do what I needed to do, and immediately reduced my packing anxiety by about 80 percent. 


When I asked her about her luggage, she said, “Relaxation and comfort is the theme. I’m not going to have either unless I have my comfort items, and sometimes they don’t fit into one suitcase. And that’s ok!!!  Check the bags, it’s ok.”


And I did. I used 2 carry-on size spinner bags and a backpack. Checked one, and lifted a light carryon with clothing and toiletries for all my immediate needs in the event the second was delayed. It  worked beautifully. 


I felt a little sheepish for needing that reassurance that the universe brought me through my friend at that moment, but really, isn’t that something that we all need from time to time? Which brings me to our OTHER journey….the one we take through life.


We all carry lots of “baggage” as we make our way through our time, space, aspirations, hopes, relationships (oh, relationships!). The size, shape and weight of that changes as we advance through our lives. As we gain more confidence in ourselves by trying things that don’t work out, discovering things that do work out — and learning from both experiences - the baggage may get lighter. Then life throws us curve balls sometimes and we get weighed down again. 


In my experience, I have found that sometimes reassuring surprises like my friend’s Facebook post can part the dark curtains to let in some light and give us a new perspective. It can give us permission to do what we have to do or be ourselves or help us think of the challenge in a way we’ve never considered before.  Or maybe it is a generous, caring mentor, or a meditation practice, or an enthusiastic supportive friend or partner, or a ritual or technique you’ve found that either helps you carry your load or helps you realize you don’t need to lug all that stuff to the next chapter in  your life. And if you aren’t quite ready to let it go yet, there are ways you can make toting it a little easier. 


As for me, I chronicled every item of clothing I wore day to day on this trip. When I am faced with a similar length trip in similar weather and appointment conditions, I can reference my list and hopefully streamline the process. And I put my energy into enjoying the opportunities that came my way during my travels instead of fretting about what I have in my suitcase.


What are YOUR baggage challenges - on the road or in your life? How you do manage them? I’d love to know! Share your wisdom in the comments! And thank you for reading!

Comments

  1. I never managed to overcome the existential dread brought on by the task of unpacking. So I duplicated everything required to travel and just leave the bags packed. Only laundry comes out and sometimes consumables for refill… whittling it down to those couple of things freed me to say yes to more travel. -MW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley here - not sure why comments, including my replies, are being posted anonymously, when they included names for my first post. Working out the kinks. Thanks for reading and sharing your strategy. And, existential dread - indeed!

      Delete
  2. This is so relatable! Thank you for sharing! My current position requires me to travel, which I absolutely LOVE, but I am also overcome with some stress as the dates approach as to what to bring... I love shoes and have quite a substantial collection, so at times, I've needed a full checked suitcase for just my shoes.... I've since learned that comfort is my friend, especially at trade shows, and that less is more. I've managed to consolidate, little by little, for recent trips and only bring what I absolutely need keeping in mind that if I forget anything, then I can either purchase a replacement during the trip or live without it for a short time. Of course, I still pack enough shoes to get me through the trip and longer trips require checked bags, but stress is now minimized as I typically know what to expect and am able to prepare accordingly. The philosophy of "less is more" has poured into my personal life as well and I've learned to carry much less personal baggage with me and now have feelings of relief and solitude.
    -Kali P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley here - thanks for reading and commenting Kali! Comfort reigns! I have a pretty staid shoe wardrobe of 4 shoes that work and I bring 2-4 pair on trips, depending on weather and walking expectations. I have a lot of clothes and like to experiment with different palettes which is what trips me up when trying to do a capsule wardrobe. But with many trips this year, it is trial by fire unless I want to invest weeks of my life into travel prep. Maybe my process will by completely transformed by the end of 2024 or I will just accept that packing is a challenge and breathe into it!

      Delete
  3. Baggage ... carrying baggage ... well, I always feel that you are a wonderful provider of comfort for yourself! From your collection of teas, to your 70 pound check-in bag, I really love being around you and the comforts you choose to surround yourself with. There's a real gift in that, you know. I observe and learn. That said, I do enjoy carrying a single bag - but really can only do it if I know I have a place to either hand wash and hang-to-dry in a low humidity, warm temperature climate, or that I'll have access to a washer and dryer along the way. Could it be true that travelling too lightly is a bit stoic? Or just a weird trend? It is akin to being a hiker up Mt. Everest, where the backpack will only have necessities? You, my friend, work in an industry that is sometimes utilitarian, sometimes luxurious! So, an extra bag for colorful options? Sounds just right to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts